Let’s talk about summer camp lunches!
As parents, we want to make sure our kids have nutritious and delicious meals while they're away at camp, but we also want to make it easy for ourselves. That's why you’ll love packing Yumbox bento box lunches for your kids. They're portable, easy to assemble, and can be packed with a variety of healthy options.
Here's a list of some of our favorite foods to pack in a bento box for summer camp:
- Turkey and cheese pinwheels
- Grilled chicken skewers
- Ham and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread
- Pasta salad with vegetables
- Carrot sticks with hummus
- Cucumber slices
- Cherry tomatoes
- Roasted edamame
- Apple slices with almond butter
- Trail mix with nuts, seeds, and dried fruit
- Homemade granola bars
- Greek yogurt with honey and berries
- Cheese sticks
Now, let's talk about gear. To pack the perfect bento box, you'll need a few essentials:
- A bento box with multiple compartments. Yumbox offers a variety of sizes.
- Reusable silicone cups to divide up foods
- A thermos for hot foods like soup or chilled fruit salad
- Reusable utensils and napkins
Make sure to pack lunches that help your kids stay well hydrated, especially if they are doing a lot of outdoor activities. Staying hydrated is especially important during the hot summer months, so it's essential to include foods that are high in water content in your summer camp bento boxes. Here are some great options:
- Watermelon - As the name suggests, watermelon is packed with water and is also a great source of vitamins A and C. Cut it up into small pieces and pack it in your bento box for a refreshing and hydrating snack. This is best packed in Yumbox Zuppa thermal lunches to keep it cool and fresh.
- Cucumber - Cucumbers are not only high in water content, but they're also low in calories and high in fiber. Cut them into sticks or slices and pack them in your bento box with some hummus for dipping.
- Berries - Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries are all high in water content and packed with antioxidants. Pack a mixture of berries in a small container in your bento box for a sweet and hydrating snack. To prevent your berries from weeping, make sure you pack one or two ice packs in the lunch bag.
- Grapes - Grapes are another great option for a hydrating snack. They're high in water content and also contain vitamins C and K. Pack them in your bento box as a sweet treat. If your kids are small - cut them up to prevent any chocking hazards.
- Tomatoes - Tomatoes are not only a great source of hydration, but they're also high in vitamins A and C. Cherry tomatoes are the perfect size for packing in a bento box, and they're easy to pop in your mouth as a refreshing snack.
Including these hydrating foods in your summer camp bento boxes is a great way to help your kids stay cool and hydrated during those hot summer days.
If you need a couple of recipes to be your easy peasy go to, these are perfect for hot summer days and they look so pretty in Yumbox!
And now for some refreshing meal ideas that are perfect for hot summer days:
- Cucumber, Feta, and Mint Salad - Cut up cucumber into bite-sized pieces and mix with crumbled feta cheese and chopped fresh mint. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and serve chilled. You can add rotisserie chicken to complete the meal.
- Caprese Skewers - Thread cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves onto skewers. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve chilled. Perfect by itself with some bread. Or add protein, such shrimp, chicken or veggie balls for a quite filling summer lunch.
I hope these tips and ideas help you pack the perfect summer camp lunches for your kids. Remember to keep it nutritious, delicious, and fun!